Madolyn & Eric

Saturday, February 19, 2011

On Why I Love Working With Kids

I was pretty stoked to start a new job this week. Being out of school is not all it's cracked up to be and I was bored out of my mind... to the point of obsessively cleaning my apartment (just to have something to do) and watching HGTV. Needless to say, it was a rather low point in my life. I applied for a couple of jobs, but the one I really wanted was a job at the Boys and Girl's club as an instructor and low and behold... I got it. Awww yeah. As a result, I basically get to spend the entire day playing with kids for money.

When I first got there, I was a little freaked out because all of the staff has basically grown up together (having gone to the club as kids themselves) and everyone else has the advantage of already knowing all the kids. I was beginning to question whether or not I was going to be the creepy loner guy standing in the corner forever, when all of the sudden a cute little girl skips up to me and says "Hey, are you new? Will you come play jump rope with me?" And there you go. Why I love kids. If only us adults still had the same social skills the world might be a much better place, in my humble opinion.

In other news, it's zombie time! Our piece (The Zombie Play: Or What To Do When the Dead Live) was officially accepted into the Fringe, and I'm working with a great ensemble. Rehearsals have been beyond fun so far (how could they not be, really?) and things are looking bomb. I think next on my list of writing endeavors will be finally tackling the novel I've been talking about forever. It's gonna happen. Still waiting for inspiration to strike, though Stephen King would argue there's no such thing as writer's block. Just lazy people. Duly noted Steve, I'm working on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment